‘You can’t be an environmentalist, you can’t be an ocean steward, without truly walking the walk. And you can’t walk the walk, in the world of our future, in the world ahead of us, in the world of our children, NOT eating a plant-based-diet.’ – James Cameron
Success of the 5th Vegan ZeGeVege Festival of Sustainable Living!
Over 30,000 visitors enjoyed the rich program of more than 20 performers and 60 exhibitors at the 5th ZeGeVege Festival of Sustainable Living on Sept. 7-8. We thank all performers, exhibitors, sponsors, media sponsors, and visitors who contributed to making this ZeGeVege Festival the best so far. 🙂 You can view the photo gallery here and on our Facebook.
Animal Friends Days 2012
This year we marked the eleventh Animal Friends Days with the following program of activities:
World Vegetarian Day
We marked Oct 1 by making a 10,54 m long vegan hot-dog. Besides snatching up the hot-dog, citizens received vegan recipes and information on the advantages of a plant-based diet and signed a petition for the introduction of vegetarian meals into public institutions. bio&bio was the sponsor of this action’s prize game for the citizens who would guess the length of the hot-dog.
World Farm Animal Day
We marked Oct 2 in collaboration with the Farm Animal Rights Movement (FARM) by setting up a public projection of the new short new video “10 Billion Lives” which can be also viewed at www.youtube.com/afcroatia.
World Animal Day
On Oct 4, we organized a presentation of 12 animal protection and rights group from all over Croatia. They used this occasion to present their demands for changes to the Animal Protection Act. On Oct 6, we marked World Animal Day once more, this time on the event organized by the City Office for Agriculture and Forestry of the City of Zagreb. In honor of this day, we also presented the e-book Animal Brothers: Reflections on an Ethical Way of Life by Edgar Kupfer-Koberwitz in Croatian.
Animal Friends Croatia Nominated for the Lush Prize
In June 2012, Lush announced the launch of the first Lush Prize for Outstanding Contributions to Replacing Animal Testing. With more than thirty projects from fifteen different countries making it through to the final list, among them is Animal Friends Croatia in the cathegory Public Awareness Prize. The annual prize fund is £250,000.
More Meat, the Hungrier the World!
With actions on Oct 16 and 17, we marked World Food Day and International Day for the Eradication of Poverty. By setting up a table with empty plates, we symbolically illustrated the effect that the production of meat, milk and eggs has on world hunger, while the day after we gave out a delicious vegan stew to homeless and low-income citizens thanks to bio&bio donation.
How Can We Help Animals?
Zagreb and a few other Croatian towns we have put up ads with practical short tips on how citizens can help animals.
- We sent a report to the veterinary inspectiors with charges against Zvjezdan Kovac because he gave away live animals at a tombola.
- We sent a statement to the media in Karlovac about the killing of scared boars who strayed into the city center.
- As part of the Green Library Project, Librarians Association of Istria collaborated with us on World Animal Day and showed the flim “Earthllings” on a projection at the University Library in Pula.
- For World Animal Day on Oct 7 we presented dogs from the Shelter for Abanoned Animals in Zagreb’s Avenue Mall. Each adopter got a dm package as a gift.
- We participated at the Mystic Fair and the Vitafest Health Fair where we held a successful cooking workshop and interesting lecture in collaboration with Dragan Surlan, and also at the international Fur Free Alliance and ECEAE meetings.
- News from our web site: URBAN Professional Formula has been added to our White List and Usher, Mayim Bialik, Fran Drescher i James Cameron have been added to the list of famous vegetarians and vegans.
- New in our web catalog: Ami cat food 3 kg and the postcard IFEEL VEGAN.
Thank you all for following our work and your kind support. We invite all of you who are just starting to learn about our work to check out ways in which you can help us in the left-hand section of this newsletter. By supporting our work you are helping animals. Thank you.
Animal Friends Croatia