‘I fail to see what is attractive about walking around in an animal skin, I suspect the animals would agree with me.’ – Jean-Claude Van Damme
Home Slaughter is no Fun and Tradition
On the occasion of the shameless Croatian ‘custom’ and heritage of barbaric animal bloodshed during home slughter we held a short performance in the center of Varazdin in order to point out the senselessness of maintining such ”traditions.”
”Killing off” is Murder, Not Caring for Animals!
In collaboration with the association Voice of Animals and with the support of Miss Sport Croatia Kristina Vilk, the face of our campaign ”Hunt Results, Not Animals” we held an anti-hunt demo, with an interesting performance as highlight on the Zagreb main square.
You Buy One, You Kill One
In collaboration with PETA, we posted ads ”You bought an animal? You killed one animal’s chances” in Croatia in order to send a warning that breeding and trade of animals are associated with immense suffering and death of animals. When people buy an animal, they take away an abandoned animals’ chance for adoption in shelters. On our web site there is a white list of pet stores which do not sell animals.
Youth for Animal Rights
Together with the City of Zagreb and the City Department of Education, Culture and Sport we organized a series of three lectures ”Youth for Animal Rights” in Zagreb’s Club Mama and KIC, and a workshop for volunteers in our office. In the framework of this project we also visited several high schools, while the project continues this year.
Holiday Veggie Recipes
With thirteen vegan delicacies, as a suggestion for meatless holidays, we wished everyone all the best. Gordana Hecimovic, head of our cooking workshops, prepared tasty beans and barley winter soup, a seitan roast, horseradish sauce, poppyseed cake, etc., while some of the dishes were also presented on our info stall tasting.
New Year’s Resolutions which Save Lives
On the occasion of moving into the new year, we suggested that citizens consider making New Year’s resolutions that will positively affect themselves and other living beings, giving them 12 reasons why we should think in that direction.
- We sent a reaction to the newspaper Slobodna Dalmacija regarding the article ”Bludgeoned on the Head, Stabbed into the Heart.”.
- We contacted the Institute of Immunology in Zagreb regarding their decision to send 24 horses to slaughter who were exploited for the production of an antivenin to snake poison. The horses won’t be sent to slaughter, but a new home for them is being sought for.
- Our representatives participated at the Animal Rights Congress in Vienna on Dec 9/10, 2011, where two of our activists represented us with their lectures.
- We held a screening of the documentary ‘Meat the Truth’.
- We sent a reaction to the media in which we request a ban on the use of pyrotechnic devices,while to the competent ministry we will send a request for legal directives.
- What’s new on our web site: Zoo City and Zoo industrija Repic are now on the black list of pet stores, see photo of the month,Green Point, Stripes, Bazaar and Cyber Funk Cafe in the restaurants section, new photos in the Backyard Pig Slaughter gallery, ZeGeVege Festival video, Morrissey with ”Everyday Is Like Sunday” and Coldplay with ”Paradise” in our Video Clips section, and and the article ”The Other Seal Hunt of Canada.”
- Our new vegan cooking workshop in our office kitchen will be held at Jan 12. If you live in Zagreb you can register to join in the Croatian section of our web site.
- Our anti-fur demo in Zagreb will take place on Saturday, Jan 21. The starting point is on Trg kralja Tomislava at 11 a.m. and you are most welcome to join us!
Everyone of you that supported us in any way during 2011, we thank you sincerely for your loyalty and trust. To you, who just started to follow our work, we would like to invite you to become our member, donate, support our work by buying from our web catalog,if in Zagreb visit our office, join in our activities, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Wishing you all the best and a good start into 2012,
Animal Friends Croatia