‘Every living being has received life as a gift and it is extremely inhumane that people should be allowed to take the lives of innocent animals and their right to live, simply because they find it amusing or for another selfish reasons.’ – Kristina Vilk, Miss sport Croatia
Success of the 4th Green Vegan ZeGeVege Festival of Sustainable Living!
More than 20 performers and 50 exhibitors presented themselves on this year’s ZeGeVege Festival We handed out 17,000 brochures and 25-30,000 people visited the festival! The Croatian president Ivo Josipovic and Zagreb mayor Milan Bandic supported the ZeGeVege festival, while Heather Mills was our special guest. We thank everyone who announced, visited or supported the ZeGeVege Festival in any way, and we also thank those who took part in our Veggie challenge! Photos from the festival can be seen in the gallery on our web site , while other photos are available at our official facebook page ZeGeVege Festival 2011 .
World Vegan Day
For the first time this year we marked World Vegan Day (Nov 1) in Zagreb, Croatia. On Oct 28 we had an evening open-air video projection ”Making the Connection” while on Oct 29 we offered a tasting of oat-, rice-, soya- and almond milk. This day was initiated in 1994 by Louise Wallis, the then President of the British Vegan Society.
Hunt Results, Not Animals
The atractive Miss Sport Croatia, Kristina Vilk, joined our campaign for the animal victims of hunt ”Hunt Results, Not Animals”. Ads with beautiful Miss and runner for the Athletic Club Agram are placed in ten Croatian towns. We also printed postcards for this occasion.
Beat Diabetes with a Vegan Diet
In collaboration with the association for the promotion of civil society Z.O.V. from the Croatian town near Zagreb Zapresic, we marked World Diabetes Day launching a project about the impact of the vegan diet on the prevention and curing of diabetes. The press conference and info stall were held on Nov 14, while on Nov 24 we plan a cooking workshop with plant-based food, adjusted for diabetics.
- We filed misdemeanor charges against the Riders’ Club ”Equus Caballus” because of neglect and torture of animals.
- We exhibited on the EKO ETNO fair in Arena Zagreb.
- We organized the 9th meeting of the Network Against Animal Abandoning for the members of the Network, veterinary inspectors, representatives of the police, mayors, governors and heads of local governments who deal with issues of abandoned, neglected and abused animals. .
- We joined the action ”Winter Warm for All!” of the Zagreb Shelter for abandoned animals and the City Office for Agriculture and Forestry in collecting old blankets, sheets and coats for dogs in the Dumovec animal shelter. .
- With the support of the Ice hockey club Medvescak Zagreb we sent a note to the minister in charge to reassess and cancel his approval for the killing of a bear who ”scares” soldiers at the military training near Slunj.
- We sent a press release about the killing of abandoned animals in Croatia .
- Please sign the petition to help Yupi the polar bear at the Morelia Zoo in Mexico! .
- Some news on our web site: the new poll and photo of the month on our homepage, The KInd Diet , by Alicia Silverstone, and Vedran as our new Vegan Buddy! On our YouTube channel we have a film ”Making the Connection” and a short film made by Animal Equality .
- In our web catalog please check the new bag, eight new T-shirts, smaller packages of Ami dog food, and cat food and the postcard with Croatia’ Miss Sport Kristina Vilk .
- With the vegetarian restaurant Vegehop in Zagreb we realizied a collaboration of 20% discount for a daily menu on every Green Monday. .
- Our anti-hunt demo will take place in Zagreb on Dec 3, while the program of our other activities can be found in our Calendar of Activities.
This time too we invite you to become our member, donate, support our work by buying from our web catalog, follow us on facebook, twitter and YouTube by clicking on the image in the left column.
Thank you for reading us and supporting our work!
Animal Friends Croatia