‘Some things are simply wrong, and the slaughter of seals in Canada is one of those senseless and inhumane things.’ – Adi, vocalist of the Croatian band Superbrands
Left in the Street because of Their Skiing Trip
We appealed to animal lovers not to leave their companion animals but to take care of them before leaving for winter holidays in the mountains. With this appeal we also asked them to report abandoning of animals and to adopt abandoned dogs and cats instead of buying them.
Protest for the Implementation of the Animal Protection Act
On behalf of the Network Against Animal Abandoning on January 15 we organized a protest for the implementation of the Animal Protection Act in Zagreb. More than one hundred protesters, about twenty dogs and one cat marched through the city center. On Zagreb’s main square the activists held a performance. With this protest we publicly expressed our outcry because four years have passed since the Animal Protection Act became effective and it is still not being implemented. To see the photo gallery from the protest click here.
Fighting for Seals with Music
On January 18 in the club SAX we held the promotion of their music video ‘The Hand Strikes Hard’ by the Croatian indie band Superbrands. With this video clip Superbrands raised their voice against the Canadian seal hunt, thus becoming the first Croatian musicians who sang for the seals. Their video can be seen here.
– We sent a demand for excluding horses from their Guard Shift-change for the city promotion to the Tourist Board of the City of Zagreb.
– We sent a demand to the veterinary inspection to stop the work of the animal shelter in Sisak until all necessary conditions for quality work are fulfilled. We asked the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Rural Development to send a warning to local communities because of the lack of the implementation of the Animal Protection Act.
– After we sent a note to the district-prefect of the Medjimurje County informing him about illegal hunt in the populated area Cakovec-Mihovljan and demanding the abolition of the hunting-ground in that area, we also reported the entire case to the Police Administration Medjimurje and presented it to the Croatian public. The result of these action was a complete hunting ban in this area.
– Since the new Criminal Law is being drafted, we sent our suggestions for changed Articles 258 and 260 to the Ministry of Justice. This would make the sanctioning of animal abuse more efficient.
– We sent a proposal to the Central Bureau of Statistics suggesting that in the Census 2011 a question on the percentage of the population on a vegetarian diet could be included.
– From the news on our web site check out the new poll, ‘Unity of Opression‘ by Consolidated in our Video Clips section, Coffee&Tea Bar Aida in the Restaurants while Vegeklub Chandra in our Vegetarian Clubs sections. On our White List of companies which do not test on animals we have the new company Drom frangrances.
– We invited those who satisfy the conditions to adopt dogs from the Zagreb shelter Spirit, which must quickly home its dogs due to the closure of the shelter.
– After our annual management board meeting on January 22 in the Internet club SublinK, we threw a small party for our members, volunteeres and individuals interested for animal rights and protection.
– On January 28 we were guests at marking the 10th anniversary of the Shelter for abandoned animals of the City of Zagreb in Dumovec.
– On January 29 we joined the Austrian activists in Graz on their anti-fur demo. The protest march lasted three hours and during that period we stopped in front of every fur store, demanding the end of the fur sale.
– This year our big annual anti-fur demo in Zagreb will take place on February 5. The protest march will start at 11 A.M. from Trg Kralja Tomislava. Come and join us!
– Do not hesitate in paying a visit to the Vegetarian Center Potok on the Croatian island of Brac. It keeps its door open for you during cold months as well. More information at www.vegpot.com.
We thank you for your continuing support and faithfulness, with the hope that you will stay with us and support our work and efforts this year too. As usual, you can support us by becoming our memberor with your kind donation, by proofreading the English section of our website, or by ordering our merchandize from our web catalog if you live in Croatia.
Your Animal Friends Croatia