‘Veganism gives us all the opportunity to say what we ‘stand for’ in life – the ideal of healthy, humane living. Add decades of health to your life, with a clear conscience as a bonus.’ – Donald Watson, founder of Vegan Society
Wings that Can Never Be Spread
On Maundy Thursday, April 1, 2010, in Zagreb we enacted a performance showing battery farming of hens. ‘Wounded,’ with their beak ‘cut off,’ and full of ‘ulcerous sores,’ our activists crammed themselves into a cage and appealed to the citizens to vote for an immediate ban of battery farming and refrain from buying eggs. Two days later we organized a tasting of soy medallions fried without eggs, French salad with egg-free mayonnaise, as well as pancakes and sweets made without eggs in Zagreb too.
Be Above Cruelty
We set up billboards and Citylight posters in Cakovec, Dubrovnik, Osijek, Pula, Rijeka, Split, Sibenik, Varazdin, Vinkovci, Zadar and Zagreb with the winner of the Croatian version of American Idol Bojan Jambrosic for the campaign ‘Be Above Cruelty’. The aim of this campaign is to draw attention to the cruelty of vivisection and to invite the public to buy only products not tested on animals. The white list of companies that do not test their products and ingredients on animals can be seen on the new leaflet with Bojan Jambrosic especially designed for this campaign.
– In search of healthy meat-free products citizens are helped by the European V-Label which has been present for a year now in Croatia and which has been obtained by five Croatian companies so far. Billboards were placed on the occasion of Meatout in Osijek, Pula, Rijeka, Split, Zadar, and Zagreb in order to intoduce the V-Label to the Croatian public.
– We requested insight into documentation on abandoned and lost animals that are in care of Veterinary Clinic Pokupsko Celje, while to Donja Dubrava District we sent a request to stop the killing of dogs which after being caught.
– Our representative participated at the meeting of the European Coalition to End Animal Experiments, which took place from March 24-26, 2010 in Barcelona. The discussion was about the change of the European Directive 86/609 about the protection of animals used in experiments, alternative methods in toxicology studies in REACH, the Humane Cosmetics Standard and future campaigns.
– We participate in the meetings for drafting the Rule book on conditions to be met by stores to sell pets, the meetings for the Rule book on labeling of dogs and the Ethics Commission.
– On Saturday April 10 we held the seventh meeting of the Network Against Animal Abandoning on which over 50 representatives from societies and individuals who care and campaign for abandoned animals were present. Representatives of the Veterinary Office and the Veterinary Inspection Office also attended the meeting.
– On April 11 we participated on the event on the occasion of the Health Week in Zagreb with our info stall and a tasting of healthy food. Our regular stalls are every Friday evening and all Saturday on King Tomislav Square in Zagreb.
– Also this month we will have our activist’s convention in SublinK Internet Club in Zagreb, Preradoviceva 5, on April 24 at 7 P.M. In March we enjoyed lots of good food, music and dance there, and we also had time to talk and get to know each others.
– The film ‘Meat the Truth’ will be screened on April 24 in Kinoteka Zlatna vrata, Dioklecijanova 7, Split at 9 P.M. as part of the Festival of Science.
– The new lecture by Vedran Romac from the series of lectures ‘Tales from the Plate’ will take place on April 29 in the Cultural Information Center, Preradoviceva 5, in Zagreb. The title of the lecture is ‘The Tale of a Happy Cow and the Jolly Calf.’
– Amongst other new links on our web site, please also check the body & soul retreat center Suncokret.
– We are happy to inform you that the Croatian band Superbrands recorded the song ‘The Hand Strikes Hard’ about the Canadian seal hunt. If you would like to see scenes from the studio please click here.
– We invite you to consider giving something to your dear ones on important dates that will also help animals. When you are picking a gift for someone or if someone asks you what you would like to get this could be a membership with Animal Friends Croatia, a donation to our organization, or if you live in Croatia maybe a purchase from our web catalogue. We issue membership cards, donor cards, certificates of donation, and at the end of the year a certificate for annual tax return.
Thank you all for your support and best regards until the next reading.
Your Animal Friends Croatia