‘Fur should be where it belongs. On animals!’ – Luka Novosel, defender of the Ice Hockey Club Medvescak Zagreb
Martin Balluch’s Ledcture in Zagreb
Martin Balluch, a prominent animal rights activist and the president of the largest Austrian animal rights organization Verein Gegen Tierfabriken, visited Croatia and held a lecture with the topic ‘The Continuity of Consciousness – The Scientific Argument for Animal Rights’ on December 16, 2009 in Zagreb’s Cultural Informative Center.
Yellow Card For Animal Abandoning
In collaboration with the Shelter for Abandoned Animals of the City Zagreb in Dumovec and the City Office for Agriculture and Forestry we held a homing action in front of Avenue Mall on December 22, 2009 in order to encourage citizens to give a home to one of the numerous abandoned dogs and cats. Ivan Banovic, goalkeeper of the FC Medjimurje, also joined the action.
The Bears in Animal Friends Croatia’s Campaign
Ice Hockey Club Medvescak Zagreb gave support to the campaign ‘For Croatia without Fur’ picking Luka Novosel as their representative. Luka undressed exclusively for this occasion in order to draw attention and point out the suffering of animals for their fur. Billboards with the slogan ‘REAL BEARS DON’T WEAR SOMEBODY ELSE’S FUR’ are already on the streets, while postcards with the campaign’s visual will be handed out on Medvescak Zagreb’s home games and our regular stalls.
Japan’s Bloody Sun
On the occasion of the attack and the sinking of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society’s high-tech stealth boat Ady Gil by a Japanese security vessel, on January 21 we held a performance in front of the Japanese Embassy in Zagreb. Our activist laid down ‘speared by a harpoon’ in front of the Japanese Embassy for the rescue of whales and in support to Sea Shepherd.
– Our activists participated on the event during which Medvescak Zagreb hockey players had ice-skated and spent time with their supporters, supporting the action ‘The Bears and Their Friends for Brave Hearted Teddy Bears.’ The Bears have collected 25,000 kunas and almost 1000 teddy bears and toys for the realization of the project Home Far From Home.
– On December 26, 2009 our Vukovar brench held an info stall and a performance against fur in the center of Vukovar. Those who visited our stall could learn more facts about the fur industry. They were mostly shocked by a baby-doll wearing a fur coat with the message reading ‘Baby Animals are Killed for Fur.’
– We invited our fellow townsmen that had bought a potted Christmas tree to donate it to the Shelter for Abandoned Animals of the City Zagreb in Dumovec or some other animal shelter, so that it may offer some shade to the dogs during hot summer months. The action is not finished yet, and we would like to use this opportunity to thank Vrtni centar Klara for their donation.
– On Saturday, January 16, we took part in the anti-fur action in Novi Sad organized by Animal Friends in Serbia. This was the first action of our colleagues since their registration and they are already planning a new action for animal rights.
– Supporting the work of the association Victories, we participated on an anti-fur protest they organized on January 23 in Osijek. This association will not be working solely on animal protection issues, but will also promote animal rights.
– We prepared a Veggie Surprise, thus those interested within Croatia who think of going vegetarian or even better vegan can contact us.
– As it is always the case, you can find lots of news on our web site. For this issue we invite you to check the firms Urban Decay (HCS) and Boo on our cruelty-free list, the new poll and the latest book The PETA Practical Guide to Animal Rights by Ingrid Newkirk and its review ‘The Practical Guide to the World of Compassion and Kindness by’ Bernard Jan.
– During January, February, March, April, and May we are preparing a series of lectures ‘Tales from the Plate’ in Cultural Informative Center in Zagreb. The first lecture ‘With a Fork to Global Destruction’ will take place this Thursday, January 28, at 7 P.M. The lectures will be held in Croatian language.
– We invite you to join us on January 30 to the first international anti-fur demo in Sarajevo, organized by our colleagues from Bosnia and Herzegovina. More information about this protest and the organized trip by coach from Zagreb can be found here.
– Also, do not forget about the big and loud anti-fur demo in Zagreb. This year it will take place on February 20. The gathering point is on King Tomislav Square at 11 A.M.
Your support to our work is highly appreciated. If you want to help us and support our activities you can do so by sending us your donation to our foreign-exchange bank account, by credit card, through a specified-purpose donation, or by meeting us at one of our information stalls or in our Zagreb office.
We thank you for reading our newsletter and we wish you plenty of joy and accomplished goals in 2010!
Your Animal Friends Croatia