“Anything that gets people to stop eating meat, I’m for that.” – Joan Jett
Ianua Animal Sanctuary
With thanks to all performers of the song ‘No Excuse’ and other collaborators in the campaign ‘I Love Animals’ as well as to the people that donated, we announce that the construction of the Ianua sanctuary has started and that the sanctuary got its name and bank account to which donations for the continuation of the works in the sanctuary can be sent.
Speciesism – Discrimination Based on Species
Last month the book Speciesism by Joan Dunayer was published on the Croatian market. By buying the book Speciesm you support the new funded nonprofit fund and the library for the publishing of books on the protection of animal rights. The fund and the library were launched by the publishing house Dvostruka duga from Cakovec which also published this book. Book promotions were organized so far in Rijeka, Zagreb, and Mihovljan.
In collaboration with Lush we invited citizens and celebrities to accept the Veggie Challenge and go vegetarian or vegan from September 18 to October 1. On September 16 on Ban Jelacic Square in Zagreb with Iva Sulentic and Ida Prester we gave away vegan cookies as our call to this action. The first ones to register for the Veggie Challenge got a book The Livewire Guide to Going, Being and Staying Veggie by Juliet Gellatley, while the ending of the Veggie Challenge will be celebrated on World Vegetarian Day with aromatic Lush suprises. Croatian celebrities Iva Sulentic, Petra Nizetic and Ivana Radovnikovic joined Veggie Challenge.
About 20,000 visitors attended this year’s ZeGeVege Festival of Sustainable Living which took place on September 18 on Zagreb’s Ban Jelacic Square as part of the European Mobility Week. The visitors could enjoy various program for children and grown-ups, free make-up and vegan food, products of 40 exhibitors that with their ethical and ecological criterion try to improve the harmonious coexistence of all living beings, and, amongst others, listen to Croatian bands and singers like Elma, Fini sapuni, Dzeneration 81, Ivana Radovnikovic, Jelena Radan, Meri Jaman and Anita Valo (Meritas), and Croatian top 10 singer Luka Nizetic. We thank everyone who helped us making this festival much better and successful than the previous one! You can find the photo gallery from the ZeGeVege Festival here and at www.zegevege.com.
For the Ban of Plastic Bags
On Thursday, September 24, our representatives handed over more than 27,000 collected signatures for the ban of plastic bags to Ms. Jasenka Nekic at the Directorate for Atmosphere and Waste Management of the Ministry of Environmental Protection, Physical Planning and Construction. On that occasion we presented our suggestions to a solution of the big problem of plastic bags, expecting the Ministry to take concrete measures.
News and Announcements
– We invite you to the lecture ‘Food and Climate’ by Jens Holm, the former MEP from Sweden, on October 2, at 7:30 P.M. in the Europe House in Zagreb, Jurisiceva 1.
– You are also welcome to the promotion of the new web site we created with the help of the firm Malleus. The promotion will take place in the pleasant atmosfere of SublinK, Teslina, 12, on October 3 at 7:30 P.M. It will be a short presentation of the web site with vegan cookies.
– Besides our regular info stalls in Rijeka on Wednesdays and in Zagreb on Fridays and Saturdays, we will also have an info stall with the tasting on Ban Jelacic Square in Zagreb on World Vegetarian Day,October 1, and on Zagreb’s Bundek lake in Zagreb on October 4, World Animal Day.
– We invite all individuals and animal protection associations to join us in the marking of World Animal Day on October 4. Also this year the event will be part part of the Animal Friends Days. More information about what you can do on this day can be found here.
– We have a new company on our cruelty free list – Lavanda. For the complete list of cruelty-free companies please click here. You can also check other news in our News section.
Thank you for reading us and your continuing support!
Your Animal Friends Croatia