‘Can you really ask what reason Pythagoras had for abstaining from flesh? I, for my part, marvel at what sort of feeling, mind, or reason that man was possessed who was the first to pollute his mouth with gore, and to allow his lips to touch the flesh of the murdered beings; who spread his table with the mangled forms of dead bodies, and claimed as his daily food what were but now beings endowed with movement, with perception, and with voice.’ – Plutarch
Where are the Vegetarian Options for Tourists?
In order to raise awareness of the shortage of vegetarian and vegan options for tourists, on August 11 and 12 we held information booths, a video showing, and vegan sample tastings in Pula, Porec and Rijeka. In Rijeka, we prepared samples of egg- and animal-milk-free cakes, such as vegan millefeuilles and cocoa slices; in Pula, we offered some vegan non-meat-sticks, soy medallions and barbeque prepared seitan; and in Porec, we offered olive and chickpea spread, fried seitan and tofu, and vegan sausages.
Spaying/Neutering is Necessary to Save Lives
In collaboration with association ‘Didona – Veterinarians for Animal Protection and Welfare’ we organized information drives on August 21 and 23 to raise awareness of the necessity of spaying and neutering animals. The association Didona presented its program for the free spaying/neutering of dogs and cats which is conducted in cooperation with the City Department for Agriculture and Forestry. Reservations were also collected at the booths for senior citizens whose dogs and cats will be spayed/neutered at no charge thanks to the City of Zagreb.
Blind for Profit
We drew attention to the suffering of animals used in the testing of cosmetics by demonstrating the Draize test in Vukovar, Croatia on August 25, and Novi Sad, Serbia, on August 26th. A petition supporting a ban on primate experiments was signed at our information booth while the short documentary ‘Wasted Lives’ was shown in the European Home in Vukovar after a short talk.
Suffering of Pregnant Cows at the Croatian-Bosnian Border
After we learned from the media about the suffering of cows on the border-crossing Zupanja-Orasje, who for more than two days in their last stages of pregnancy waited to cross the border, we went to the scene. After painstaking negotiations with the Croatian and Bosnian customs officials, the exhausted cows continued their journey to Sarajevo. Animal Friends and the Association of Animal Friends ‘Dr. Ivan Rostas’ filed criminal charges for animal abuse and demanded that the incident be thoroughly investigated.
From Prison to the Austrian Parliament
We welcome the release of our Austrian colleagues Christof, Elmar, Felix, Jan, Jürgen, Kevin, Leo, Martin, and Sabine (Christian had been released earlier), who have finally been set free by the Appellate court. Thus ended a process which was ‘directed’ by the special commission (Soko) with the aim of destroying one of the most influential animal rights groups in Austria – Verein Gegen Tierfabriken. We congratulate Dr. Balluch on his candidacy for the Green party MP and we hope that the release of all imprisoned activists marks an end of this ugly, dark and disgraceful period of the Austrian legal system.
Petition for Animals in Transport
Next month, the long distance transport of live animals will be debated by those with the power not only to enforce and improve welfare regulations in Europe, but to put an end to these long journeys. We urge you to click here for signing a letter to the Commissioner Androulla Vasilliou indiciating your support. The Handle with Care Coalition will present these signatures to the EU Commissioner to demonstrate the strength of the public opinion.
ZeGeVege Sustainable Living Festival
ZeGeVege: the 1st Festival of Sustainable Living will take place on September 20 on Ban Jelacic Square in Zagreb. Our group will introduce thirty exhibitors of health foods and eco products and associations for animal and environment protection to the community. There will also be a health-food restaurant, numerous games, and a whole-day entertainment and educational program including a concert by veteran vegetarian Goran Karan! For more information on the festival, please visit www.zegevege.com.
News and Announcements
– Since the Japanese Ministry of the Environment is planning to include in the ‘Technical Manual of Conservation and Management of Japanese Monkeys’ a plan to promote the capture of snow monkeys and allow their use in research laboratories, we sent a letter of concern regarding the animal welfare implications to the Japanese Prime Minister and to the ambassador of Japan in Croatia.
– Buzet, Ivanec, Vrgorac, Cazma, Donja Stubica, and Komiza are new additional cities and towns supporting the campaign for the obligatory microchipping of all dogs. In addition, the city of Zadar has legalized the obligatory microchipping of all dogs on its teritorry.
– Weleda is a new company on our White List. The list of other companies that do not test their products on animals you can find here.
– We are happy to inform you about the forming of the Animal Friends in Bosnia and Herzegovina association. Also, the new association Zazivali! (ForAnimals!) has been founded in Slovenia, and animal advocates in Novi Sad are now in the process of founding Animal Friends Serbia.
– Please sign an appeal to the United Nations and its agencies to channel available food resources to needy people and not to farm animals. The petition can be signed at http://un.evana.org/.
We thank you all for your continued support!
Your Animal Friends