„Just how destructive does a culinary preference have to be before we decide to eat something else? If contributing to the suffering of billions of animals that live miserable lives and (quite often) die in horrific ways isn’t motivating, what would be? If being the number one contributor to the most serious threat facing the planet (global warming) isn’t enough, what is? And if you are tempted to put off these questions of conscience, to say not now, then when?” – Jonathan Safran Foer
Accommodation of people and animals from Ukraine
Due to the outbreak of war in Ukraine, we have created an application form that can be filled out by anyone who is willing and able to help with the accommodation of people and animals from Ukraine. People leave carrying animals in their arms or in transporters and need accommodation where they can be with their animals. We have announced
that a new order is in force, which allows people from the war-affected area to enter with their animals, with the obligation to fill in the issued form for each animal. Free vaccination and tagging will be provided for all animals. We also published all the information in the Ukrainian language.
Information and help to animals from Ukraine
Considering that the Order forbids bringing abandoned animals from Ukraine, we have published verified information on how they can be helped in other ways. You can see a list of organizations that collect financial assistance for the purchase and delivery of food, medicine and other necessities for animals left in Ukraine and the people who care for them. We also issued a call for volunteering.
Pay for Spay campaign was a success
We thank everyone who contributed to the success of the “Pay for Spay” campaign and provided sufficient funds for the castration of 1,000 animals in the areas affected by the earthquake. With the initial generous donation of the company Astra business engineering, more than 300k kunas were collected, which will be spent purposefully, transparently and with careful records. In a month, more than 170 castrations of dogs and cats were performed, the interest is still great, so we are still receiving many invitations.
Eating grains instead of animals
On the occasion of Meatout day, which is celebrated around the world on March 20th, we drew attention to a solution that can help prevent a crisis with the availability of food due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine. The vast majority of cereals are not grown for human consumption, but for animals. The beginning of solving the problem of food shortages is a significant reduction in eating meat, milk and eggs, and increasing the consumption of plant foods.
Veterinary inspection in the control of Roma settlements
Four years ago, by order of the Minister of Agriculture, the project of castration of dogs in Roma settlements of Međimurje County began. By the end of 2018, 1,400 dogs had passed through the castration project. Since then, the number of dogs has increased significantly due to non-control. It is commendable that the veterinary inspection has started with supervision, and the goal is to castrate, microchip and vaccinate all dogs, and to return them to settlements or shelters. The Veterinary Inspection has announced that it will also do everything in other Roma settlements to make sure that this happens to every dog.
The 11th VeggieFair will be held on Saturday, June 11, 2022, from 8 am to 8 pm on Zagreb’s Ban Jelačić Square. We are pleased that this year’s VeggieFair will be held on Saturday, so we believe that there will be the most visitors so far. Throughout the day, you will be able to enjoy a variety of offers and educational materials on sustainable living and veganism, so don’t miss it and invite your friends to join you.
- The new holders of the V-label in the past period were the companies Prehrambena industrija Vindija d.d., the company Pepitas d.o.o. and the company Duh u boci d.o.o.
- For all members of Animal Friends Croatia, Hotel Kaj has provided a 15% discount on overnight stays and a 15% discount on vegan offerings. See other discounts and if you haven’t already done so then become a proud member of Animal Friends Croatia.
- We sent an inquiry to the Veterinary Directorate regarding the registration and records of large cats owned by private persons and zoos, and reiterated that it is necessary to amend the Animal Welfare Act for this reason and ban the keeping of dogs on a chain.
- We reported the continuous killing of cats with air rifles and poison in the area of the City of Slunj and asked the City Administration to act to the best of their ability.
- We are working in cooperation with the Association of Cities to encourage the implementation of the Animal Protection Act by local communities according to the results of last year’s questionnaire.
- Evening booths with video projection were successfully held during the winter months and the last booth of this season is this Friday at 6 pm at Zagreb’s main railway station.
- We are looking for a new employee in the area of application monitoring, writing sign-ups for applications, preparation of supporting documentation, writing project reports and other related tasks.
Despite great effort and numerous results, we cannot continue our work for animals without your continuous financial assistance. Support us with a standing order, donation and payment of the annual membership fee. Even a few kunas a month can mean a lot to us. Thank you all!
Your Animal Friends
Follow us on social networks: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.