„This pandemic seemed to come from people eating animals and it’s becoming more well known that eating animals is not the greatest thing for our health … We’ve seen more of the effects of how eating animals has brought us to our knees as a species, I think it’s time to re-examine our world in a way that doesn’t abuse other species.” – Brian May
2022. without plastic bags!
At the beginning of this year, a ban on lightweight plastic bags
and disposable plastic products came into force. The long-awaited ban is the result of many years of our efforts since 2008, but also of other organizations that have been pointing out the catastrophic consequences of plastic pollution for years. We advocate for the next step – charging the use of the thinnest disposable plastic bags for bulk goods that are relentlessly consumed and should not be free.
Veganuary – for a good start to the year
For all those who want good food and positive changes, the first month of the year has a deeper meaning, and it lies in wordplay and the popular challenge – Veganuary. Veganism has a far-reaching impact on the life of an individual, other beings, and the world we live in. All those who want to try veganism in January, we invited to the Croatian version of the challenge – Veggie challenge at www.veganopolis.net and gave five great tips which make changes easy. If you haven’t already, invite everyone to subscribe by e-mail.
Pyrotechnics stores violate ban on selling firecrackers!
We sent a letter to the Ministry of the Internal affairs that the complete ban on firecrackers on all days of the year proved to be very correct, necessary and useful. We also mentioned that citizens reported violations of the legal ban on the sale and use of firecrackers for personal use. We believe that in the final days of 2022 increased police control will be necessary, and it is important to also control the shops that sell pyrotechnics. We reiterated our appeal for the following legal changes to ban the use of other pyrotechnic devices, from categories F2 and F3, in the period from 27th to 30th December.
Nero killed after many years of suffering on the chain
Only three hours after we published the story of the dog Nero from Krapina who was, with a painful tumor on his anus, freezing on a chain due to the opinion of the veterinary inspection that these were appropriate housing conditions, the State Inspectorate told us that the owner had him killed. The sad end for the unfortunate dog is just another example that the veterinary inspection does not like animals, and it has provoked the undivided condemnation of keeping dogs on a leash and the need to reform the veterinary inspection on social media. Read the full report, response from veterinary inspection as well as our complaint.
Sign up for the Vege Challenge and claim a free lunch!
Every 2.5 seconds someone signs up for Veganuary and takes the first step towards trying veganism in January! In order to encourage citizens to apply as much as possible, in cooperation with 24 vegan restaurants from Zagreb, Split, Dubrovnik, Rijeka, Karlovac, Opatija and Šibenik, we decided to reward those who apply for the Croatian version of the challenge – Vege Challenge. If you sign up for the Vege Challenge at www.veganopolis.net by the end of January, in addition, to support in the form of tips, recipes and useful information, there is a good chance that you will be treated with a free lunch. Spread the good news.
We get sick because we eat them, so we take their hearts
We reacted to the recent heart transplantation of a genetically modified pig to a man and explained the absurdity that, on the one hand, we suffer from heart disease which is the result of eating pigs, and at the same time we transplant a heart from a pig to a man. We reminded that there is an ethical alternative – the development of heart muscle tissue and other organs from human stem cells, which has the potential to save thousands of lives.
Give your voice to save animals from the cruelty of experimentation!
As early as 2013, the sale of cosmetics and cosmetic ingredients tested on animals was banned in the EU. But animals continue to suffer and die because of the legal entanglement between the two provisions. Main European animal protection organizations have joined forces to urge EU authorities to make the necessary legislative changes to finally fully implement the ban. Every vote counts, please expand the link to this important petition.
Vegans have a 73 percent lower chance of a more severe form of COVID-19
Most recent research shows that individuals who follow a plant-based diet are 73% less likely to develop moderate to severe symptoms of COVID-19 disease. The aim of this extensive study was to investigate the relationship between diet and the severity of coronavirus symptoms. According to the study, those who practiced a diet rich in animal protein were almost four times more likely to experience a moderate or severe form of COVID-19 disease.
Every minute they kill a hundred sharks for fin soup!
In the last 50 years, more than 70 percent of sharks have been wiped off the face of the earth. They are most often killed as an accidental catch during fishing or because of the fins, which are considered a delicacy in Asia. When they are caught, their fins are cut off alive, and then thrown into the sea where they die of shock or drowning. It is the brutal fate of more than 100 million sharks each year. That is why the European citizens’ initiative “Stop cutting fins – stop trade” was created, within which the signatures of European Union citizens are still being collected until the end of January.
- We sent a request to Sveti Ivan Hospital in Jankomir to accept the request for a vegan meal.
- Read the article on the connection between the vegan diet and the reduced risk of COVID-19.
- According to UN experts, switching to a plant-based diet directly helps fight climate change.
- Studies have shown that vegans are discriminated against.
- Read about 20 years of the Association’s work.
- We received a response to our report regarding washing a dog with a mini wash.
- We have sent a request to the City of Zagreb regarding the maintenance of New Year’s fireworks.
- We are grateful to all members who paid the membership fee <3. From now on they have discounts in the following restaurants and shops: BioROOT, Healthy Food Factory and Veganko.
- We have sent a report to the Ministry of Internal affairs regarding the violation of the ban on the sale and use of firecrackers.
- We thank the facilities with which we cooperated in the Vege Challenge campaign: bio&bio, Sana delicacies, Burger King, Arepera Maracay, Pusti otok, Summarum fitness and restaurants Oaza Joyful Kitchen, Br00m 44, Vegehop, Zrno bio bistro, All the best, VeganKO, Falafel etc., Green Point, Barcode Mitra, Simple Green by Jelena, Zeleni Vaal, Kokolach, Soul Food, BEG’S Plant-Based, Kuća tete Ane i Smoothiekaša from Zagreb, VEG Plant-based meals and Kavana UpCafe from Split, Priroda & Društvo from Rijeka, Vega Club Chandra from Karlovac, O.DA from Šibenik, Urban & Veggie from Dubrovnik and Urban Garden Juice & Smoothie Bar from Opatija.
Despite great effort and numerous results, we cannot continue our work for animals without your continuous financial assistance. Support us with a standing order, donation and payment of the annual membership fee. Even a few kunas a month can mean a lot to us. Thank you all!
Your Animal Friends
Follow us on social networks: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.