„People often say that humans have always eaten animals, as if this is a justification for continuing the practice. According to this logic, we should not try to prevent people from murdering other people, since this has also been done since the earliest of times.” – Isaac Bashevis Singer
Stricter penalties for abandoning animals
We have launched a petition demanding that abandoning animals be treated as a criminal offense and sanctioned with imprisonment. We demand that the amendments to the Criminal Code also increase the penalties for the criminal offenses of killing or torturing animals. In just one week, more than 10,000 citizens signed a petition, saying they were fed up with the inadequate punishment for abandoning animals. We invite everyone to spread the news and help get as many signatures as possible.
Bloody yards and a shameful custom
Although many are appalled by the dog slaughter at the Yulin Festival or the dolphin killings at the Faroe Islands, they do not see the same violence in Croatia when slaughtering animals that are proven superior to dogs in intelligence, sociability, empathy and affection. We have emphasized that slaughter is always slaughter, and suffering is always suffering, whether it is a dog, a dolphin, a pig, a man or some other animal.
The beginning of the end of keeping dogs chained
At the public hearing, more than 600 comments were left for the necessary amendment to the Animal Protection Act due to the ban on keeping dogs chained. We are very much grateful to everyone for making it happen. After additional negotiations, the Ministry of Agriculture announced that in 2022 it will begin the procedure of amending the Animal Protection Act. We wouldn’t be able to do that without the support of the associations in the Network and your support, so we will continue to fight together.
Plant-based milks are conquering the world
We have designed and published a guide to increase the vegan meal options in restaurants. The guide is called “Herbal milk conquers the world.” We sent it to over 1.500 addresses of cafes, bakeries, patisseries and restaurants. The promotion was joined by 13 coffee bars and pastry shops from Zagreb, Osijek, Varaždin, Dubrovnik and Rijeka, which gave out coffee with vegetable milk. Check out this great guide and help us out by sending and forwarding the online version to reach as many caterers as possible.
Large analysis of the implementation of the Animal Protection Act
We made an analysis of the implementation of the Animal Protection Act in 2020 in Croatia. This is the first thorough and relevant research given that more than 97% of local self-government units data was analyzed. We made a huge effort to encourage the implementation of legal provisions and cooperation with local communities; it took some time to collect all the data. See an analysis with more than 20 questions covering 540 cities and municipalities.
Report the use of pyrotechnics to the police
This year, a ban on the purchase and use of firecrackers and bandoliers from categories F2 and F3 came into force. Other pyrotechnics from the aforementioned categories, such as rockets and fireworks, may not be used before December 27th. In order to clarify what exactly firecrackers and bandoliers are and what is forbidden and what is not, we made a table with an explanation. Be sure to report any sale and use of prohibited pyrotechnics to the police!
Banning hunting is the future
On the International Anti-Hunting Day, we reminded of the fact that behind every hunt remains a tortured, terrified and cowardly killed animal, which was ambushed and killed or died in agony in set traps. Photos of a recently killed bear on the Krk island clearly show what hunting is and that it should be banned.
- We did an interview related to hunting.
- We sent a letter to all veterinary stations regarding the tagging of neutered stray cats.
- We addressed the Ministry of Agriculture with a concrete proposal for cooperation in favor of better implementation of the Animal Protection Act in the Republic of Croatia.
- We sent the results of the analysis of the implementation of the Act to all relevant institutions.
- We received an answer to the report of a sick cow on the Pelješac Peninsula.
- Our members now also get great benefits at the SuperHeraw, Barcode Mitra and HospiVet stores.
- We sent a letter to the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Economy and Sustainable Development regarding measures for the low-carbon strategy and the promotion of vegan products.
- We asked the Mayor of Rovinj to inform all competent institutions about the increasing number of stray cats poisoning cases in order to report them to the police.
- Read the recipe for making vegan fat.
- See the November list of Good and Bad Guys for November.
- We sent topics for a meeting with the heads of the City of Zagreb related to the improvement of animal protection and sustainable living, as well as repeated the request for a meeting with Mayor Tomašević.
- We are preparing a performance on the occasion of Animal Rights Day on December 11th 2021 – spread the word so that all those interested in participating can contact us via the application form.
Check out new videos on our Youtube channel:
Despite great effort and numerous results, we cannot continue our work for animals without your continuous financial assistance. Support us with a standing order, donation and payment of the annual membership fee. Even a few kunas a month can mean a lot to us. Thank you all!
Your Animal Friends
Follow us on social networks: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.