“If you don’t like seeing pictures of violence towards animals being posted, you need to help stop the violence, not the pictures.” – Johnny Depp
The President of AFC Received a Peace Prize
Luka Oman, the president of the Animal Friends Croatia, received a special Recognition for the promotion of peacemaking, non-violence and human rights “Krunoslav Sukić”, awarded by the Center for Peace, Nonviolence and Human Rights Osijek. He received the award for pioneering work on the promotion of animal protection and veganism, as well as being a “contemporary conscientious objector who showed exceptional care and sacrifice for others.”
Animal Rights Week
As a warm-up for the March for Animals, organized every year on December 10 on the occasion of the International Animal Rights Day, we held the Animal Rights Week. The week started with a banner making workshop for the March, followed by a great lecture given by Vedran Romac, an activist workshop by Zagreb Animal Save, an educational lecture by Goran Pejakovic, and, as an icing on the cake, a feline get-together at the Cat Caffe.
Successful March for the Animals
The second March for the animals
was organized on December 8, 2018. A colorful procession with banners was not discouraged by the rain, as we were all motivated to spread the message of compassion for animals. We thank everyone for support and/or attendance and we suggest you take a look at the great atmosphere of this year’s March in the Photo Gallery
on our website and Facebook
Lecture On Cats, Dogs and the Invisible
As part of the Animal Rights Week, on December 4, there was a lecture by Vedran Romac organized in our office, with the topic “About cats, doggies and the invisible—why we need them more than they need us.“ We listened to Vedran’s lecture in one breath, and only a few did not shed a tear.
Animal Protection Inspection
Provoked by the new killings of cats, the Animal Protection Network condemned abusers and killers of animals and emphasized the need to establish an Animal Protection Inspection
, modeled on organized animal protection systems in the world.
Love is not for Sale
With a new campaign
, the Animal Protection Network wishes to send a message that animals are not suitable as Christmas presents. For this occasion, billboards were placed in over 20 cities all over Croatia with a clear message: “Love is not for Sale“, presented by abandoned animals. Animals are not commodities nor a suitable gift, so if a family decides to get an additional member, the Network suggests: Adopt, Don’t Shop!
Luka Oman as the Minister’s Adviser
More than six months have passed since the Ministry of Agriculture has appointed Luka Oman as a special adviser for the animal protection to the Minister of Agriculture. He performs this function without employment or any compensation for work and travel expenses. This does not prevent him from investing extraordinary efforts to raise the standard of animal protection in Croatia and take part in numerous meetings where he presents concrete proposals for the improvement of implementation of the Animal Protection Act.
- Take a look at how luxurious a vegan holiday table can be.
- Holidays are here, which for most includes gift shopping for the loved ones. Think about buying compassionately.
- Check out our list of vegan and vegetarian celebrities.
- The internationally renown animal rights activist Joey Carbstrong held a lecture in our office on “Fearless activism“, organized by Zagreb Animal Save.
- We commented on the installation of Christmas lights around the animals’ accommodation in the Zagreb Zoo and condemned the capture of animals for human entertainment.
- We commented on the results of the ‘referendum initiative in Switzerland against dehorning cattle’, reminding that this cruelty is only one in a series of horrors that cows and calves go through in the meat and dairy industries.
- We collaborated with Večernji list newspapers and published a free Christmas themed vegan cookbook in one of the newspaper editions.
Thank you all who helped us with their membership and donation. If you haven’t already, please back us with your donation so we can continue working for animals. Support our work with a standing order, donation, or annual membership fee. Every donation, no matter how small, means a lot to us!
Lastly, we wish you peaceful holidays and a happy New Year!
All the best,
Your Animal Friends
Follow us on social network: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram i YouTubeu.