“As the human race, what we are doing to the world, the pollution coming from the amount of cows that are being produced, is incredible. They say it is more than what we produce with our flights and our cars, which is kind of crazy to think. The cruelty is horrible and I don’t necessarily want to support that and I want to live a healthier life.” – Lewis Hamilton, racing driver and three-time Formula One World Champion
Animal Protection Act passes second parliamentary reading!
After over a decade of efforts, we finally got to witness the second parliamentary reading
of the Animal Protection Act
on September 21st, which revealed that the bill would introduce long-awaited changes to animal protection practices in Croatia! The provision banning the killing of animals in shelters attracted the most attention. The MPs spoke out unanimously in praise and support of the bill and used the second reading to present amendments intended to further improve it. Find out more here.
Everyone gathers at the 10th ZeGeVege Festival!
On September 8th and 9th, we held the 10th installment of the ZeGeVege Festival
! Countless visitors not only enjoyed the lovely weather in a relaxed and positive environment, but they also got to taste many vegan foods and freshly-prepared meals. Additionally, visitors were offered roughly 20 different presentations and culinary workshops, as well as performances by various Croatian and foreign dance groups. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and the festival has received universal praise. As for us, we are already planning on how to achieve the same success next year! We would like to thank everyone, especially our volunteers, who made the ZeGeVege Festival possible! Visit our Facebook page
and our website for photos
. We also invite you to take a look at a video
filmed by Marin Rendić.
100,000 dogs still unvaccinated and unchipped
On World Rabies Day, we reminded the public that over 100,000 dogs in Croatia are still waiting to be vaccinated and microchipped. We also issued a petition calling for the regulation and control of mandatory rabies vaccination for dogs and emphasized the importance of enforcing legal obligations.
The future of fashion is fur free
Fur Free Retailer recently launched a brand new visual identity and website to celebrate gaining over 750 company members. Since 2002, this program has been implemented in over 20 countries, and Animal Friends Croatia also joined the Fur Free Alliance (FFA) five years ago. Click here for a list of brands
that do not sell fur.
Adoption and education are cool!
The topic of this Saturday’s Adoption Is Cool action, organized in cooperation with the City of Zagreb and the Dumovec animal shelter, was educating children on how to be compassionate towards our animal friends. To that end, we are offering all Croatian kindergartens and schools the following film: We are all part of the same world.
October 1st: World Vegetarian Day
October is widely celebrated as the green month of vegetarianism, starting from the first day of the month, which marks World Vegetarian Day, and ending with November 1st, World Vegan Day. You too can commemorate the occasion by trying out these delicious recipes and participating in our Veggie challenge
- The supermarket chain SPAR Croatia joined the worldwide Meatless Monday campaign, announcing it will offer a 10% discount on all its Veggie brand products every Monday. In Croatia, Meatless Monday is better known as Green Monday, and its goal is to encourage the public to eat plant-based products at least one day a week.
- As a thank-you for a job well done during the ZeGeVege Festival, we are organizing a gathering for our volunteers on Friday, September 29th at 5 p.m. on Jurišićeva 25. We invite everyone who wishes to offer their support or help our cause to join us, and we likewise welcome any tasty vegan snacks! 🙂
- We are inviting all those interested to sign up and take part in the performance commemorating World Day for Farmed Animals. The event will be held on October 2nd at the Ban Jelačić Square by Animal Friends Croatia and the Farm Animal Rights Movement.
- You are invited to join us for a picnic at Bundek Lake, organized in cooperation with the City of Zagreb and held on October 7th as part of World Animal Day.
- All those interested are invited to Vedran Romac’s presentation entitled “Invisible Animals, Invisible People”. The event will be held on October 10th at 6 p.m. at the Ethnographic Museum in Zagreb.
We would like to thank everyone for their kind support, membership and continuous participation in our activities. We will see you again in our future actions and endeavors!
Animal Friends Croatia
Follow us on social media: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.