Farm animals are just as interesting and intelligent as the dogs and cats who we know a bit better… Yet they are treated by the meat industry as though they are inanimate objects with no feelings or personalities.’ – Emily Deschanel
Vegetarian Tourists do not Eat Fish!
On the stalls in Rijeka, Zadar and Biograd we promoted our first vegan cookbook Mljac and organized vegan tastings in order to point out the poor veg offer in Croatia. The action was held as part of the Grundtvig Project and in collaboration with FARM – Farm Animal Rights Movement.
Japan Dolphin Day
We marked Japan Dolphin Day by holding an evening public projection of ‘The Cove’ documentary in Zagreb. The all-day stall in Rijeka was also dedicated to this international dolphin day.
Dog Killers Should not Adopt Animals!
Because of breaking of the Animal Protection Act in the Veterinary Station Vetam and illegal killing of animals, we asked for the cancellation of a contract between the City of Osijek and Vetam. We also sent a letter to all inspectors because of illegal killing of animals on demand of owners, asking them to comply with the Animal Protection Act.
Renata Sopek in the ‘Green Monday’ Campaign
Renata Sopek, a famous Croatian television host and a promotor of fitness, healthy diet and lilfestyle, joined the ‘Green Monday’ campaign. The goal of the campaign is to help all of us improve our health and the health of our environment by switching to a plant based diet at least one day a week.
Chew the Veggie Challenge!
On the occasion of World Vegetarian Day we launched the Veggie Challenge! and invited people to go vegetarian or vegan before our ZeGeVege Festival. The Croatian singer Lea Deklava was the first to join the Veggie Challenge.
Animal Friends Days 2011
On the occasion of our tenth anniversary we marked Animal Friends Days with the following activities:
Oct 1 – World Vegetarian Day: we launched the Veggie Challenge and held a video projection ‘Meat Eats People’ and vegan tastings in Zagreb and Split.
Oct 2 – World Farm Animals Day: was marked in collaboration with FARM and the City of Zagreb on the Bundek lake by handing out video and printed materials and signing petitions.
Oct 4 – World Animal Day: on the stalls on the main square of Zagreb, together with the Voice of Animals and Shelter for abandoned animals of the City of Zagreb, we handed out info materials and magazines, collected signatures for petitions and invited to home dogs. Animal Friends Days are marked as part of the International Vegetarian Week, Oct 1-7.
- Prompted by the case of arresting a man from Sv. Ivan Zelina who organized dog fights, we called for rigorous prison sentences for all participants in animal fights..
- We sent a reaction to the Croatian National Television about vegan diet and sects in one of their shows.
- We sent a request for the gradual gradual closing of the shelter owned by the Veterinary station Kutina to the Veterinary Inspection Directorate.
- We sent a request to the mayor of Osijek to cancel the contract with the Veterinary Station Vetam.
- In order to inform about the problem of killing of dogs and cats on owners’ request we sent a letter to veterinarians in Croatia.
- We filed a report for torturing and illegaly displaying a snake..
- In collaboration with the Shelter for abandoned animals of the City of Zagreb and the City Office for Agriculture and Forestry we held the action ‘Adopting is Cool’.
- We organized a lecture on animal rights with Dr. Steven Best in Zagreb.
- From the news on our web page we recommend: our new T-shirts and bags, and companies Quarnero, Argital, Cuccio Naturala and Florame on the list of companies that do not test on animals.
- Our fourth vegan green festival of sustainable living ZeGeVege will take place on Oct 14 and 15 on the Zagreb main square! If you are in the neighborhood, make sure not to miss it! For more information click here or visit our ZeGeVege facebook page.
At the end of the first issue of our newly designed AnimaList for the occasion of the tenth anniversary of our work and existence, once more we invite you to become our member, donate, support our work by buying from our web catalog, follow us on facebook, twitter and YouTube by clicking on the image in the left column.
With hope that you like the new look of AnimaList, we send you our regards.
Animal Friends Croatia